Remember back in the day when you used to eat those box cakes that bits of pinkish dots in it that was suppose to be cherry cake? I used to love those cupcakes as a kid but now that I’m a grownup, I can bake it out of real ingredients!
I was lucky enough to get a bag of frozen cherries from Klipper’s last weekend and in true fashion,I greedily hoarded them even though I didn’t know what I was going to do with it. I ate one cherry to test it out but it wasn’t quite the summery burstiness that I was expecting.
Makin’ some spaghetti squash with my beef brisket so I thought I’d take advantage of the heated oven and bake a cake at the same time. Coconut flour is a miracle flour. High in fibre and you need so little of it (with addition of extra eggs) to make something fluffy and delicious. This cake is low in carbs, sugar-free and made with organic coconut flour, cherries and eggs!
Here’s the recipe…
What you need!
1 cup coconut flour (seriously that’s all you need)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup erythritol
1/4 tsp stevia
1 tbsp honey
1 cup grapeseed oil
2 tbsp vanilla
2 cups frozen cherries (or blueberries would work)
What to do!
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl whisk the coconut flour, salt, baking soda and stevia together.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and vanilla together.
3. Powder the erythritol in a coffee grinder, add to wet ingredients and incorporate along with the honey.
4. Combine the dry and wet ingredients together.
5. Fold in the frozen cherries.
6. In a square 8″x8″ pan, lay a piece of parchment at the bottom OR grease the pan with butter or oil. Pour batter in and bake for 40-50 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. You may want to cover the cake with tinfoil half the time so the edges don’t burn. Poop!