One of my climbing friend’s was telling me how she once ate a brownie made out black beans that was really good. I naturally didn’t really believe her but went home to research some beany desserts. Turns out there are a ton of recipes that call for beans in gluten-free baking for moist, rich and healthy cakes.
I have to say, this is probably my best gluten-free recipe to date. The chocolate cake is super moist, looks like cake made out of wheat, has tons of fibre, protein and no sugar….seriously….I’ve never tasted something so rich and sweet that was so healthy!
I used some friends as guinea pigs and not one of them suspected a thing, no one tasted the beans and the great thing is that a small slice is extra filling!
Try it yourself, you won’t be disappointed! Here’s the recipe…
What you need!
15 ounce can of red kidney beans (if you use the 19 oz size, you’ll just have to cook it a bit longer)
5 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
6 tbsp butter
3/4 cup erythritol
1/2 tsp stevia
6 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup erythritol
5 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp cream
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp stevia
What to do!
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 9″x9″ square pan (I used glass) with parchment paper.
2. Rinse the kidney beans and drain water. In a big bowl, add kidney beans, 3 eggs, salt, stevia and vanilla. Use a hand blender (or regular blender) and mash it all together until smooth.
3. In another bowl, cream the erythritol and the butter together until fluffy. Add the two eggs one at a time and combine.
4. In another small bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk until well combined.
5. Add the bean mush to the wet ingredients and mix. Add the dry to the wet and stir well. Pour into baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. While the cake is baking, make the icing! Powder the erythritol in a coffee grinder until very fine. Whip the butter until fluffy and add the powdered erythritol and stir until well combined. Add in the rest of the ingredients and whip until light and fluffy.
7. When the cake is done, let it cool until it reaches room temperature. Only put on icing when the cake has fully cooled! Slice into 9 pieces and enjoy your super healthy and delicious chocolate cake!